Wednesday, June 20, 2018

A local oddity

From my observations at least, I'm a bit of an oddity around here.

I live in suburban Illinois far enough from Chicago that seeing someone cycle around for something aside from exercise is rarely seen. I know there are others that do it, but we're so spread out on our selected routes that we don't run into each other.

Even when I drive which is more than I'd like to lately, I take a bike (or two) with me and try to incorporate it in my day. I parked at work and later during a break rode to Goodwill to drop off a donation and then to Sam's to pick up groceries.



Total round trip was only 2 miles but 85* and humid, most people would just drive it. I figured it was a short trip, I'd save some gas and it'd be another chance to hop on my bike.

After depositing the baby bath tub which must have looked ridiculous strapped to the back of my bike, I peddled over and into Sam's club to pick up my order (Order ahead it's great!).

Mostly strange looks, but I'll give them credit no one asked me to park my bike outside (I suppose there's no law against it, but you just don't see people rolling bikes into stores so I guess I expected it?) paid for my order and left, the only comment was from the lady marking receipts as I left saying "that's the way to do it, gas is so expensive"

So, even if I saved a measly $1 in gas that day perhaps I'll help inspire others to ditch the car for a trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

A ride of snow and ice