Wednesday, November 7, 2018

A work in progress, part 2 Finale!

After getting off to a rough start with the brake levers, I was able to finish up this build.

I hadn't planned to re-wrap the bars yet, the cloth tape seemed usable and I had less padded wrap on the Vitus. But as it turned out, the brackets for attaching the brake hoods used a different thread pitch then ANY other brake lever bolt I had from old Schwinn Weinmanns, to Dia-compe, to the Modolos I was planning to put on there.

So as it was, I elected to undo the whole thing and start fresh.





I pulled the old tape off, slid on the brackets for the Modolo hoods and re-taped the guides for the bar-end shifters. Re-rapped in some 2.5mm Lizardskin bartape (and boy is that stuff comfortable) and installed the SunTour Accushift barcons.
Late 80's 7-speed index barcons

Re-wrapped drop bars.

A few other Frankensteined parts include a 1978 SunTour Honor rear derailleur,  this was a 5-speed friction component on a low end bike. It's heavy and not much to look but it's reliable, sturdy and believe it or not through some sort of bicycle voodoo I managed to get it to index with the barends on a Regina Extra-XB 6-speed free-wheel!

It ain't pretty, but it works and best of all it was already on hand. Cogs are 14,16,18,20,22,24 for you gear heads out there, and with the front triple a 50,45,28 mixed with the 700x35 Gravelking SKs I've got a range of 31-97 gear inches. Given the closeness of the freewheel it works out pretty well for around these parts of Illinois I ride, at least for unloaded riding. We'll see how well this works out, a 14-28 may work better, but then I'd have to change the derailleur as well, it's already a bit past capacity as is.


 


Another shot of the front triple, it's been a loooong time since I rode a bike with 3 up front, but the barends make selecting the right chain relatively easy. Also found some dustcaps off another bike.

Paint wasn't too dinged up, needs a good cleaning.


And finally, the finished product another mixed spec bike assembled from a frame and random components. This bike will replace at least a few of my rides, thought I'm a fan of N+ bikes I just don't have the room or time to ride all of them and rather see them pedal off with new owners.

So if you know anyone in the market for a 1967, 1973 or 1975 Schwinn let me know!

With possibly a few minor changes this is what I plan to ride the Rough Rode 100 in April with.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

A ride of snow and ice