Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Winter Cycling......SNOW!

Another day of hitting the snow covered trails. At the time I road Fox Valley Park District hadn't gotten around to clearing much of the Virgil Gilman Trail so I got to experience riding in a few inches of snow/ice. It doesn't sound much fun, but surprisingly it was very challenging to try and keep your speed up while navigating trail. Weather was in the lower 20s and about a 13mph breeze, sunny though!



 First half of the trail looked like someone tried to plow it once, but then the wind blew it back over it and froze it. This was comparable to riding on a rough gravel road but add to it ice.

Ubiquitous bike leaning against something photo.


 The rest of the trail that hadn't been touched had several downed limbs, and about 2" of snow.

My view for part of the ride as I focused on the road ahead of me.

Things to take away from this adventure (and none of this is a new revelation on my part:
-Wider tires with lower pressure would have been nice, but part of the challenge was riding on what I had.
-Don't dress too warm, once you start moving you heat up pretty quickly. I'm still zeroing on on what is the right amount of clothing for certain temperatures.

Well till next time, Cycle on!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

A ride of snow and ice